Many people are talking about hybrid bikes now days. So what makes it come into the eyes of the crowd? What does it offer which is not offered by Road bike or Mountain bike?
Let’s see some of the internals and physical features of a “Best Hybrid Bike.”
1) Frame: The frame is well built from aluminum for strength. The low graph frame option is also provided for women rather than a single straight bar.
2) Handle Bars: A Hybrid bike comes with FLAT handle bars which provide a straight and upright position to the rider. It also makes the gear shifting easier for the naïve riders. The handle bar can be rotated forward and backward to provide more control and comfort to the rider.
3) Tyres: Hybrid bikes come with wide tyres as compared to Road or Mountain bikes. It provides control, grip, more speed on any surface. The tyres don’t lose the grip even on a wet surface.
4) Material: Hybrid bikes are made of aluminum, steel, and carbon. Steel is always heavier and provides a good look to the bike, but carbon provides a neat way to carry the bike without any hassle on any surface.
5) Gears: The shifting of the gear is most elegant in Hybrid bikes. Whether you live in a hilly area, the gear shifts are so smooth to carry yourself on a steep surface.
6) Brakes: The most important feature provided by Hybrid bikes are DISC Brakes. These are more responsive than the traditional RIM brakes. They are certainly expensive and were used on mountain bikes for a long time. But, once your bike is customized with disc brakes, you will feel more control over any surface with more breaking power.
7) Pedals: The pedals are detachable. We can customize the pedals based on whether we want to ride the bike on the road or on a hilly terrain. The pedals don’t have clips and can be easily updated with the new ones.
8) Mudguard: Well, hybrid bikes don’t come with an option for mud guards but it is designed in such a way that it accepts customization of mud guards.
9) Customization: Hybrid bikes comes with a customization option where we can attach a frame for carrying laptops, water bottle, clothes etc. for a few extra bucks.
Hybrid Bike Variants
- Road-Oriented: This variant has more features being extracted from a Road Bike and is cheaper than the Mountain-Oriented version. You can still find rim brakes instead of Disc Brakes, frame made of steel instead of carbon, the less gear ratio for shifting, etc.
- Mountain-Oriented: This is a high-end variant of Hybrid bikes. It proposes all the above-mentioned features with more customization.
Of course, Mountain variant of hybrid bike cost more than the Road variant. The Hybrid bike has to be chosen based on the requirement. For office commuting purpose, a Road variant will suffice but for recreational activities over the weekend, one should go for Mountain variant.